Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Introducing...Sydney

Sydney joined our little family on January 16. She and her puppy were rescued along with six other dogs from a backyard breeder in Missouri a few weeks ago. Sydney is around 4 years old and has spent her life knocked up in a crate. Spencer and I will have to teach her how to be a family dog.

Sydney has made a lot of progress in the last four days. She and Spencer are becoming friends and like to play. Spencer is doing a good job of teaching her our routine. Sydney is still extremely scared of humans. She follows me around the house at a distance and runs away as soon as I realize she's there. I regularly see flashes of brown and white in my peripheral vision. :o) But Syd is getting braver each day and is spending less and less time in her crate.

It will probably take about six months for her to be rehabilitated. There will be a lot to learn -- housebreaking, walking on a leash, etc. But I know that once she overcomes her fears, she'll enjoy being "in retirement" from her old profession and letting us spoil her.

6 comments:

Marisa said...

What a sweet girl! This is perfect for you and something that I can totally see you doing. I can't wait to meet Syd!

Lori said...

She is darling! Can't wait to see her.

Tamara said...

Poo little doggie! Thanks for rescuing her.

Dave and Ginger said...

How sad...I'm glad she has your home now. Congrats! You'll be a great mommy.

joana said...

if she's as spoiled as spencer is, she'll love it at your house!

The Moffitt's said...

Aweee, you are awesome for sharing your love with this wonderful little girl! I hope she allows you to spoil and love on her VERY soon. :)